Excel Plugin - How to use?
When you will have successfully installed the plugin, a new "LetsBuild" tab will be displayed in the top navigation bar.
Click on it to have access to five new buttons.
The new buttons are:
- Log : To login to the Plugin, by using your LetsBuild’s credentials
- Download : To export your LetsBuild data into an Excel spreadsheet
- Upload: To import into LetsBuild all the data that you have created in an Excel spreadsheet
- Settings: To change some elements of the configuration of the plugin
- Get started: To get a direct access to our help centre
Download your first data
Now that you are in the plugin, you can start downloading your data.
Just start by logging into LetsBuild by clicking on the "Log" button.
Enter your credentials and confirm by pressing the "LOGIN" button.
After that, select "Download", pick the projects and lists that you want to download.
Wait until your data are pushed into your sheet.
Notice: Depending on the quality of your network bandwidth and the size of your project, the first synchronization may take several minutes
This happens only once, during the first setup of the Plugin. And, you can get a rough approximation from the following list:
- Less than 200 points: Around 1-2 minutes
- Less than 5000 points: Around 5-10 minutes
- Less than 25000 points: Around 30-60 minutes
- More than this: Up to 2-3 hours
Tips and tricks: You can select multiple lists / projects by holding CTRL or SHIFT during your selection.
Make and upload simple changes
After getting some data in the excel sheet, you can change it as you want.
To help you, LetsBuild designed the sheet with some colours and dropdowns, that will allow you to input data in an easy way.
To update your data, just change the content of the cells as you would do for any other Excel spreadsheet.
Be careful not to change the ID or Version fields, as they are mandatory for the integration to work. Also notice that some changes are not allowed, according to the classical LetsBuild logic (defining a point without status, ...).
If you can create data, you can edit it as well. Rules are the same. Instead of changing cells, just fill their content. You can create notes and forms, either by copying other lines, or by inputting every required field (project, list, status, ...).
You can do it by using the dropdowns menus in the cells or by copying a range of data from another part of the sheet.
In the second case, just be careful that the "ID" and "Version" fields are empty.
“ID” is an unique identifier of the entity (point or form) you would like to change, allowing the plugin to distinguish two elements with the same names.
“Version” is used to track if there was any change between the data you have in the sheet and the data in LetsBuild.
If you push a line without an “ID”, it will be created in LetsBuild. If you have two lines with the same “ID”s, the plugin will emit a warning. If you change the “ID” of the point, you may have unwanted behaviour.
The next step after creation and update is to push your changes into LetsBuild. Just click on upload, wait a bit and all your data will be there.
You may see some of your data changed. That is completely normal. LetsBuild is filling some fields for you (ID, version, creator, last modified date, ...).
The last element that you may have to change are the settings.
For the moment, only two settings are defined:
- The kind of environment you would like to use for the plugin. This is used especially for the clients that have access to a sandboxed place to test some integrations. You will probably have to keep it to "production".
- The ability to automatically assign points and forms to users based on your project settings. By default, this value is turned off, meaning you will have to do it manually.
After using the Excel plugin for a bit, you will probably feel the need to go further and do more advanced things: link multiple users or documents, add comments to a point or a form, make dashboards or do a project planning with the Plugin.
All of these elements are defined on our next page: "Going further".
Read More :